Debra D. Lee, M.S.
Joe Cirulli Biography
Joseph Cirulli is originally from Elmira, New York. In 1978 he established the Gainesville Health & Fitness Centers in Gainesville, Florida. Today, Cirulli owns three clubs with more than 26,000 members: a 78,000 square foot club in the heart of Gainesville, a 25,000 square foot club in the Tioga Town Center, and a 14,000 square foot womens-only center in Thornebrooke Village. 2013 marks the 35th year of business for GHF.
As of 1996, Cirulli also shares ownership of two rehabilitation centers: ReQuest Physical Therapy and ReQuest Physical Therapy at Tioga with North Florida Regional Medical Center. He employs over 400 people among his Gainesville Health and Fitness Centers and the ReQuest Physical Therapy locations.
Cirulli is an accomplished writer contributing to various national and international publications including Peak Performance Magazine, CBI, and Club Industry Magazine. He is a featured presenter for many national and international organizations such as IHRSA (International Health, Racquet & Sports Club Association), IDEA, Club Industry, Fitness Network (Australia), BodyLife (Germany), and European Fitness Convention (England). He has also presented seminars on business and the fitness industry in New Zealand, Italy, Russia, Canada, Brazil, and Hong Kong, to name a few. Most recently, Cirulli was asked to make a presentation to Governor Jeb Bush's Task Force about the City of Gainesville's actions to combat the obesity epidemic.
If he is not working or traveling, Cirulli makes time for various charitable organizations and boards, including being the 2000 IHRSA President and the 1999 American Heart Association Heart Walk Chairman. He also gives numerous in-kind and monetary donations to groups such as Peaceful Paths, the Arthritis Foundation, Fight Children's Cancer, the Children's Miracle Network, Project Graduation, and food and toy drives for The Alachua County Volunteer Center, to name a few.
When Cirulli is not traveling, industry representatives from around the world visit his health clubs. He and his health clubs have been the recipients of numerous awards, achievements, and recognitions, including the following:
- The Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Leader Award
- Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce Business Leader of the Year
- Induction into Junior Achievement's Business Hall of Fame
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award by regional business magazine
- In 1996 GHFC was named among top 8 health clubs in the USA by Men's Health magazine
- 1996 IHRSA named the Gainesville Health & Fitness Center Sales Team #1 in the world
- 1996 Identified by IHRSA among the 5 cleanest clubs in the world ("The Clean Machine")
- 1997 City Beautification Award in commercial/retail division
- 1997 Silver School-to-Work Zone Award for outstanding contributions to Florida School-to-Work Initiative (executive internship program)
- 1997 Alachua County Industry of the Year Award - Service
- 1998 IHRSA named Debbie Lee, Operations Manager for the Gainesville Health & Fitness Center for Women, Club Manager of the Year
- 2000 Gainesville Health & Fitness Center placed third in the IHRSA/Polar Electro
- 2001 Gainesville Health & Fitness Center named World Fitness Center of the Year by the European Conference
- 2003 Gainesville Health & Fitness Center received Platinum Workplace Award from the Wellness Council of America.
- 2004 Distinguished Entrepreneur for Lifetime Achievement Award
- AHA Community Fitness Innovation Award. 2011, 2012, 2013
- 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award-Club Industry
- 2013 Ethics in Business Award by Gainesville Rotary
- 2013 Gainesville Beautification Award
- 2014 Business of the Year - Best Business Expansion, Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce